I am that annoying classmate of yours that always had a question at the end of a lesson when the rest of you were anxiously casting side-glances at the clock face and trying to silently, surreptitiously drop your books into your bag without catching the attention of the teacher.
“Are there any questions?”
And there I was, hand raised, look of anticipation on my face.
As I prepared for the interview of Adult Services Supervisor, Lorie Vik, of the Eugene Public Library, I created a list of questions compiled from the resources provided and the my own curiosity.
- What is the community of Eugene like? Describe your patrons and their needs.
- How long have you worked with the Eugene Public Library?
- What type of technologies are available for patrons to use IN the library?
- What type of technologies can be used by patrons OUTSIDE the library?
- What technologies are used by staff in the library?
- What type of Internet-based services are provided for patrons?
- Who manages the technology? If there are multiple staff members, what does that collaboration look like?
- How much of the overall budget (proportionally) is spent on technology, including devices, databases, and software?
- What type of systems are used? Are they up-to-date?
- What type of training is provided to those directly working with technology?
- Is there training provided to staff not directly working with this technology?
- What type of network is used?
- What type of Internet access and connection?
- Who maintains the website?
- Is the library automated? If so, which system is used?
- Do you have policies and forms related to technology? (i.e. Acceptable Use policies, time-limits on computer use, etc)
- How often are these assessed and modified?
- How does technology get repaired? Is this done in house or sent out?
- Are fines assessed to damaged technology items?
- Is your physical space conducive to the technology uses and needs? Have there been any modifications to accommodate?
- What kind of assistive technologies are provided?Are they available for check-out?
- What type of security is in place?
- What do you think works well?
- What do you think can be improved on?
Ok, I’m done.